Re: How To Create a logon screen by using FORMS4.5

From: Peter Richardson <prichardson_at_pharma.fraser-williams.com>
Date: 1997/11/28

On 25 Nov 1997 03:45:42 GMT, "Yao Fang" <fangyao_at_sirus.com> wrote:

>Then I create a form with one block on it. On the block , there are two
>non-database field : userid and passwd. It works fine if the user types
>the right username and password(compared the value in the database),
>but I want to allow the user try the wrong password three times before
>the form closed. But the problems is that I cannot use either
>do_key build_in and execute_trigger to exit the form since it is not
>in the Enter-Query Mode.
>
>Can you give me some idea 1)How to implement the logon screen from your
>own experience? 2)Is there any way to exit the form when it is not
>on Query Mode?
>
>Thanks in Advance. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
>
>Yao Fang

The best way of doing it is writing a program in C (or whatever your [Quoted] fetish is) and interacting with the user table from there. That way you can connect to the database to read the user settings (but no more) then exit the program if logon fails. If it logon is successful then allow priviliges for all usual tables and start up your first form.
[Quoted] I won't go into details here, needless to say that this method is far more secure and allows other neat tricks too.

Peter Richardson Received on Fri Nov 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message