Re: Connecting an Oracle 7.3 database to Web

From: Rick Banister <rick_at_sesame.com>
Date: 1997/11/27

Brad Worsfold wrote:

> Java is one approach everyone seems to like.
>
> However, if you are interested in integrating your office products, you may
> wish to look at Delphi or VB and creating an Active X application. You also
> need to consider if this is for the Internet, Intranet, or Extranet?
>
> If you were willing to get Oracle's WebServer, you could use it's PL/SQL
> toolkit to build a simple Web Application. So, if you are already skilled in this
> aspect, it may be worth looking into!

I have written an extensive article on the subject. The essential conclusion
at this stage of the technology is a recommendation for using the PL/SQL cartridge of Oracle Webserver to produce an HTML front end with a LITTLE bit
of JavaScript (not Java) for enabling the HTML forms. Java isn't ready for
widely distributed apps because not all browsers support Java equally (thanks,
Microsoft!), many users have old browsers with NO Java support, and Java is
relatively slow. Also, it's slow to code and has a steep learning curve. JavaScript can be overused, mind you, so complicated stuff should be done
on the server side by PL/SQL. FYI, JavaScript is not Java, it's an extension
to HTML; many folks are confused by the name (which was Netscape's intent
all along).

I have a team of experts in this technology, and am happy to share our experiences.
Feel free to email me or call after 9 a.m. Pacific Time.

See http://www.sesame.com/WhitePaper.html for the article.

--
    Name: Rick Banister
 Company: Sesame Software, Inc.