Re: Des2k: views and keys

From: John Roberts <John627_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/26

Chris Greer wrote:

> I'm having trouble using views in the data model diagrammer. I'm using
> views as an abstraction layer over the database. When I try to relate 2
> views, it complains that no foreign key exists. If I use the tables
> instead of the views, it works just fine. (The views are defined to be
> the same as the tables)
>
> I notice that in the navigator, views can have keys (primary/foreign)
> defined(????) I don't. The navigator shows my keys defined on the
> tables, as I would expect, with the keys attributes on the views empty.
>
> Can someone explain the between views and keys in des2k?
>
> Note: My database was reversed engineered into the repository.
>
> Also, my synonyms to views did not get reversed engineered into the
> repository. Is des2k supposed to handle this?
>
> --- Chris Greer

You will need to define keys for views in the same way as you do for tables. Des/2000 does not implement/create them, but it uses them to create links between data for forms, reports, etc. in exactly the same way that it does for tables.

Note that you do not have the 'average rows' and 'maximum rows' attributes for views as you do for tables. These values are used by the Forms Generator for query-only forms in conjunction with the MAXQRY preference, and determine if the form should auto-query on entry, or go into enter-query mode.

You can update the underlying values in the SDD_ELEMENTS table for the view, and this will fool the Forms Generator.

John Roberts Received on Wed Nov 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message