Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager - Storing Scripts on Unix

From: Chris <x_at_x.com>
Date: 1997/11/25

Bob Murphy wrote:

> Trying to find out if anyone has a similar situation to us...
>
> We have about 10 Oracle/Unix servers that we are administering with
> character-based tools and scripts. We have an established directory
> structure where we keep all of our DDL. Example: Tables would go in
> u01/home/oracle/ddl/(application code)/tables
> and so on...The four DBAs know the directory structure(s), so any one of
> them can pick up an application and at least know where things are.
>
> We would like to use NT/Oracle Enterprise Manager, or at least SQL
> Worksheet, but still keep the Unix directories as our central storehouse
> of scripts. We'd like to do this without jumping thru too many hoops.
>
> One way we've thought of is to use SAMBA to make the Unix drives appear
> on the network as an available drive. Then we could save directly to the
> Unix drives.
>
> Is this recommended? Is there another way to do this? Any pitfalls
> anyone can see with this approach.

> TIA,
> -bob

> bob.murphy_at_clorox.com

Use the Enterprise Manager Job stuff to execute scripts on the server using the "OS Command" feature. This is the most linear move for you. This Enterprise Manager has some MAJOR bugs. I'm waiting for 1.4. In 1.3.5 as an example, if you place the name of a tablespace in quotes as part of the profile for an Event Registration entry, when you try and modify it later, when it reads it back from the repository, it REMOVES THE QUOTES!! You have to re-type them in EVERY TIME!! Oracle knows about it, and has the balls to say "we don't know if this is fixed in 1.4"!!! Just this bug alone makes the tool almost unusable. I see almost no posts in these newsgroups about Enterprise Manager, I wonder how many people are using it... Received on Tue Nov 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message