Re: Should we standardize on Powerbuilder/Sybase?

From: Caryl Lee Fisher <cfisher.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/11/21

Certainly stay with a standard environment. Powerbuilder Syabase or Dev2K with Oracle are both good alternatives. Other popular development environments are VB, and Delphi.

Sybase is not exactly on the fastest growing companies list at this point. You might want to take that into consideration.

Dev2K can be used with Des2K (Oracle's
CASE tool) to aid in app development.
The integrated approach is hard to beat.

In all cases the critical success factors are

  1. an experienced tech lead
  2. a sophisticated set of templates with pre-defined objects to speed development.

It sounds like you will be "at the mercy" of the consulting team. Make sure you get an experenced, outside auditor to help police the team or you can get seriously toasted.

My favorite story concerns an off the shelf software developer that outsourced their migration and reengineering to Oracle. They went through 5 teams until they found a team that could do the job. Be VERY careful.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.

RokJok7 <rokjok7_at_aol.com> wrote in article <19971121063600.BAA18855_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> My organization is considering two opposing proposals. One is from a
 small
> company that wants to use its own proprietary architecture to develop
 several
> mission-critical applications. The other company says we should avoid
 that
> approach and standardize the development process with
 Powerbuilder/Sybase.