Re: svrmgl, sqlplus: Very Slow Starting

From: Rick Muffler <rmuffler_at_mema.mail.fedex.com>
Date: 1997/11/21

If it's oracle 7.3, check out the ecp_disabled parameter and process.dat file. see the bulletin from oracle support pasted at the end of this message.

hope that helps,
rick

--
                              Oracle Corporate Support
                                 Problem Repository

1. Prob# 1020763.6  CONNECTION/QUERY TIME IS SLOW AND "PROCESS.DAT"
FILE IS
2. Soln# 2068970.6  SET EPC_DISABLED TO TRUE

1. Prob# 1020763.6  CONNECTION/QUERY TIME IS SLOW AND "PROCESS.DAT"
FILE IS

Problem ID          : 1020763.6
Affected Platforms  : Generic: not platform specific
Affected Products   : Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition V7
Affected Components : RDBMS V07.03.XX
Affected Oracle Vsn : V07.03.XX

+=+

Problem Description:
====================

The connection time is extremely slow, and the "process.dat" file
located in the "$ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin" directory is unusually
large.

Performance problems occur with SQL*Plus after Oracle7 Server 7.3.2
is installed.

Symptoms:
---------
1. Slow connection times via SQL*Plus via client or directly on
   the server.
2. Performance degradations when querying via SQL*Plus.
3. On Dec Unix, ORA-07307 or ORA-07337 may occur on startup.
4. A SQL*Plus session may return the following errors:
   ORA-01034, ORA-07320, and/or DEC OSF1 APX error 12.

Problem Explanation:
====================

"Otrace", a new, common tracing mechanism, is automatically enabled
in versions 7.3.2.1 and 7.3.2.2, and can result in large tracing
files
in the "$ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin" directory.  SQL*Net v2.3 has been
instrumented with Oracle Trace, as has the RDBMS version 7.3.2 and
Forms version 5.0.

What is Oracle Trace?
---------------------

Oracle Trace allows you to turn on collection of performance-related
data via a common interface for any trace instrumented product.
Additionally, it automatically correlates data collected in one
instrumented product (e.g., SQL*Net) with data collected in another
(e.g., the RDBMS) so that you can view the performance of various
parts
of a logical thread (e.g., you can get a view of a given transaction
that shows the performance data for it on the client, on the network,
and on the server).

Search Words:
=============

otrace, otrccref, regid.dat, EPC_DISABLED, sqlplus, hang, hangs,
hanging, svrmgrl, lsnrctl, core dump, bus error, ORA-1034, ORA-7320,
Digital, sqlnet, ORA-7307

+==+

Diagnostics and References:

 * {9226.6,Y,100}     CONNECTIONS EXTREMELY SLOW

 ref: {8074.6}     BUG-387185

2. Soln# 2068970.6  SET EPC_DISABLED TO TRUE

Solution ID         : 2068970.6
For Problem         : 1020763.6
Affected Platforms  : Generic: not platform specific
Affected Products   : Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition V7
Affected Components : RDBMS V07.03.XX
Affected Oracle Vsn : V07.03.XX

+=+

Solution Description:
=====================

This could be Bug 387185 which only occurs on RDBMS versions
7.3.2.1, 7.3.2.2, and 7.3.2.3.

To Disable Oracle Trace (otrace):
---------------------------------

1. Change your location to the "admin" directory

      % cd $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin

2. Make sure the "process.dat" file is not large
   (large size would be over 5MB)

3. Delete the "process.dat" and "regid.dat" files and recreate
   them to the default size

      % otrccref

4. Set the following user's environment variable

   For Bourne or Korn Shell:

      $ EPC_DISABLED=TRUE; export EPC_DISABLED

   For C Shell:

      % setenv EPC_DISABLED TRUE

These files will not be updated when users login. This will be
fixed in RDBMS version 7.3.3.

To Enable Oracle Trace (otrace):
--------------------------------

1. Unset EPC_DISABLED

   For Bourne or Korn Shell:

      $ unset EPC_DISABLED

   For C Shell:

      % unsetenv EPC_DISABLED

2. Change your location to the "bin" directory

      % cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin

3. Run the "otrccref" command

      % ./otrccref

   This recreates the "regid.dat" and "process.dat" files to the
default
   sizes of 14K for "regid.dat" and 330K for "process.dat".

+==+