Re: Massively update but small disk space

From: g.r.s. deisz <g.r.s.deisz_at_ptt-telecom.unisource.nl>
Date: 1997/11/18

In article <347153A8.5ED5DE99_at_concept.fr>,

   Marc Brevet Lepreux <mbl_at_concept.fr> wrote:
>Hello,
>I search a solution to update one value in big table.
>I have a table 'DATA' (1150000 rows) with a column VAL (NUMBER), i need
>to divide by 2 all VAL .
>It's not possible for a technical Hardware reason to increase Rollback
>Segment.
>If you have a solution in PLSQL or others, thanks a lot.

You can create a cursor for loop on the table, then loop through the table and update all records.
In the loop, you increase a counter and after each x (e.g. 100.000) records, you issue a commit and reset the counter. This will limit the need for rollback space.

Stefan.

--
Name      :G.R.S. Deisz
Phone     :+31-50-5855954