Re: fastest method for reading tables

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/11/18

Waqar Hasan wrote:

> I have an application program that needs to read data
> by the fastest method possible.
>
> Is OCI the fastest available interface?
> What parameters need to be tuned to get the application
> to go faster?
> Is there any other interface that might go faster than OCI?
>
> The application makes queries that retrieve *all* rows of a table
> (but only a subset of the columns).
>
> The application does not care if the data is slightly out of date.
>
> thanks,
>
> -Waqar Hasan
> hasan_at_db.stanford.edu
Hi,

there are also other things to consider. Are the subsets characterized by a common item e.g. can indexes be used, optimizer rules be set up. What's about your SGA-size? Just using OCI won't give you fast result if you have a poorly designed data model or database.

--
Regards

Matthias Gresz    :-)