Re: About Form 4.5 command button

From: Greg Hoppan <alpha_at_mail.datanet.hu>
Date: 1997/11/16

vtoomu_at_gmu.edu wrote:

> In article <345DFDF3.3472_at_fyiowa.infi.net>,
> robertoc_at_fyiowa.infi.net wrote:
> >
> > §Ú·RºÎı wrote:
> > >
> > > When I uses a command button in Form 4.5 , I got a error messge as

> > > following :
> > >
> > > FRM-40735 WHEN_BUTTON_PRESSED trigger raised unhandled
> > > exception VALUE_ERROR
> > >
> > > Could anyone tell me what VALUE_ERROR mean ? Thang you very
 much!

> > Most often, it's because you tried to place a value in a variable,
 and
[Quoted] > > the value is longer than the length declared for the variable.
> > Robert Christenson

> In SQLForms3.0, I seem to be getting the same error like the above
> which
> says Frm-40735 On-Validate-Field trigger raised unhandled exception
> VALUE_ERROR.
>

> I am getting this error for a field which has a specified length of 8
> characters and I am using just 4 characters of it for the field. When
> try to tab to the next field, I get the above error and it does not go
>
> further. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks in advance. --Vinay

This question is not about your form version. This question is not about a specific type of trigger.

VALUE_ERROR is standard PL/SQL run-time error (or exception). It raises, when an assignment statesment violates the length or precision of the target variable in a PL/SQL code.

Check out your trigger's code, there must be some kind of assignments trying to give bad value to a variable or a form item.

Btw, exceptions are trappable, like this:

declare
  alpha varchar2(4);
begin
  alpha := 'Hello';

  • your program stops to continue here... alpha := 'Bye'; exception when VALUE_ERROR then
    • but continues here... alpha := 'Hi'; end;

Hope it helps,

Hoppan Greg Gergely                  WWW  : http://w3.datanet.hu/~alpha/

Managing Director                    Mail : alpha_at_mail.datanet.hu
Alpha Consulting 1996 Limited        Phone: +36-1-351-9020
HUNGARY 1068 Budapest, Benczur u 14 Fax : +36-1-351-9020