Re: User Cloning

From: Peaches <fsgchi_at_wwa.com>
Date: 1997/11/10

[Quoted] Andy Hardy <Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk> wrote in article <AthOkCALTtZ0MwDh_at_camk.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <01bcebb7$9a52ee40$393ef1cf_at_ww.wwa.com>, Peaches
> <fsgchi_at_wwa.com> writes
> >Mahesh Anand <manand_at_usa.net> wrote in article
> ><346217AA.8F9410E8_at_usa.net>...
> >> Import does not Alter tables or drop tables if it is already exists.
> >
> >If you are using Oracle 7, then on import you need to set the IGNORE
> >parameter to YES.
>
> I believe that this will only ignore the create error, it will not load
> the data into a table that is of the wrong form or overwrite an existing
> table.

I believe that the original poster was trying to repopulate tables that already exist. I could be wrong, it was my interpretation.

> >If your tables are very large, you may want to set the COMMIT=Y
 parameter,

> I also believe that the COMMIT parameter merely commits any rows loaded
> during an aborted import rather than the rolling them back as usual.

Yes, but if you have a Very large (read millions of rows) table, then you may not have a rollback segment that is appropriately large to accommodate the entire table. If you assume that your export was correct, then your import will probably not abort.

Your point is taken though. This is probably a unit test environment, not a performance testing environment, and volumes will probably be low.

> >Export/import really helps a lot in test environments. You are on the
 right
> >track. Good luck.
>
> I sort of prefer SQL*Load, but mainly because I had to load large
> quantities of flat data. It does have useful a COMMIT (after so many
> rows) and DIRECT (to speed up data loading) options and it's possible to
> condition the data on the way in.

Yes, but then you would need to build each individual table, assign the proper grant privileges, set up the relationships etc. and THEN you would populate with SQL*Loader.

I'm sorry that I snipped so much of the original post that it lost the flavor of what the original poster was trying to accomplish.

--
Peaches	  http://miso.wwa.com/~fsgchi
	  reply to: fsgchi at wwa dot com