Re: User Cloning

From: Andy Hardy <Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/10

[Quoted] In article <01bcebb7$9a52ee40$393ef1cf_at_ww.wwa.com>, Peaches <fsgchi_at_wwa.com> writes
>Mahesh Anand <manand_at_usa.net> wrote in article
><346217AA.8F9410E8_at_usa.net>...
>> Import does not Alter tables or drop tables if it is already exists.
>
>If you are using Oracle 7, then on import you need to set the IGNORE
>parameter to YES.

I believe that this will only ignore the create error, it will not load the data into a table that is of the wrong form or overwrite an existing table.

>If your tables are very large, you may want to set the COMMIT=Y parameter,

[Quoted] I also believe that the COMMIT parameter merely commits any rows loaded during an aborted import rather than the rolling them back as usual.

>Export/import really helps a lot in test environments. You are on the right
>track. Good luck.

[Quoted] I sort of prefer SQL*Load, but mainly because I had to load large quantities of flat data. It does have useful a COMMIT (after so many rows) and DIRECT (to speed up data loading) options and it's possible to condition the data on the way in.

Andy

--
Andy Hardy
Senior IT Systems Engineer