TCP/IP address in Network Manager (NT)

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/06

Hi,

[Quoted] We're building an NT failover cluster of two machines to support an Oracle database, using Digital clustering software.

The database files will reside on a shareable RAID storage array. The primary server will run the database. When it fails, the second server will assume these duties.

To make this work, we need to create the listener and tnsnames that can refer to the same database and refer to the host of that database by TCP/IP address (during failover, the secondary server assumes the IP associated with the database).

This raises a couple of problems when using Network Manager to configure the various *.ora files:

 NM doesn't accept IP addresses for the host in the listener; [Quoted]  Referring to the same database under two nodes fails because NM says that the names must be unique.

Of course, I could just hand-craft the files, but I'd like to stick to the same software that we use to generate the files for the rest of our systems.

Ideas?

Andy
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request