Re: Need help exporting and importing

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/11/06

Ciaran P O'Maonaigh wrote:

> I am using Oracle 8.0.3 enterprise server running under NT4.0. I want to
> export all the data contained in a set of tables owned by a particular user
> and import the data into another instance of the same setup (i.e. 803 on
> NT4.0) located on another physical machine.

It is the exp utility that you want to use, however on NT it is known as exp80 and is located in ORACLE_HOME/bin e.g. (D:\orant\bin)

The simplest way of exporting a single users information is to perform the export as that user (assuming they have the correct permissions) i.e. exp80 userid=username/password file=exdat.dmp

and then use imp80 to import the data into the new instance. With this method however, the user must have already been defined in the new instance.

If you wish to move everything the export should be done as system eg;

exp80 userid=system/manager file=expdat.dmp full=y

Having done this you can then import the data into an empty database and all the users will be created along with their data. It is possible to extract to individual user creation scripts from this, but you can email me direct if require advice on this.

I am a little suprised that you were unable to get the data manager to work as I have had few problems with it in the past. Perhaps you have a further problem with your Enterprise Manager set-up.

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message