Re: Designer/Developer

From: Maarten Scharroo <m.scharroo_at_elsevier.nl>
Date: 1997/11/05

Sheila Watford wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have some pretty open ended questions about Oracle's tools. I am
> looking for your opinion and/or any tips you may have on the following
> topics:
>
> 1. Designer/2000 - How easy and useful is the reverse engineering
> feature? We currently have a prototype that functions against an
> interium database that needs significant modifications for the
> production database. Would it be worth while to start by reverse
> engineering the prototype and then making the necessary data model
> changes or would it be easier to start from scratch? (Note: the
> prototype was not developed using the Designer.)
>
> 2. Designer/2000 - How much success have you had using the Forms
> Generator?
>
> 3. Developer/2000 - How much success have you had embedding OLE2
> objects, in particular EXCEL, in a form?
>
> 4. Developer/2000 - Are there any guidelines for building an
> application, such as when to create a new form for a particular module
> vs creating more and more canvases/windows. Basically, how is an
> efficient application layed out in Developer/2000?
>
> Thanks for your comments!

We reverse engineered an existing database (about 200 objects). It saved a lot of time entering definitions. Furthermore we created an application containing about 40 SCREEN-modules and 100 SERVER-objects ( database-triggers and packages ).
We purchased the QMS-templates to create a consistent look-and-feel. The application is still 100% generated.

Maarten Scharroo Received on Wed Nov 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message