Some Queries regaring MS-DTS and Oracle

From: Paddy Iyer <paddy_no_spam_at_fs.com>
Date: 1997/11/04

Hi all,

First of all, I do apologise for the cross posting to respective groups. Was not too sure where to direct
my problem.

The s/w we are developing has the capability of working with both Oracle and MS-SQL Server, using
Win-NT as the OS.

We have a couple of queries, and following it up with Oracle has so far been futile. Wondering if some of the
netters could shed some light.

The queries are as follows

  1. We are using the 7.3 version of OCI with our application and we want to convert our application to use Unicode. Are there any documents you can refer us to or any words of wisdom concerning OCI and Unicode?
  2. We are also evaluating the use of Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS) with our software. Our understanding is that there will be a Microsoft provided ODBC driver for Oracle that works with MTS 2.0, however, that ODBC driver is limited to 8 connections to an Oracle database. The person at Microsoft that we spoke to about this issue indicated that the 8 connection limit is due to a limitiation with Oracle. Is it an issue with XA or OCI or not an issue at all? We sure would like to hear and understand Oracle's side of the story about this.
  3. Regarding connection pooling with SQL Net 8. Will SQL Net 8 be a Resource Manager / Resource Dispenser for MTS?
  4. Will Oracle consider supporting forward and backward scrolling cursors at some point? How about an ISAM like cursor that scrolls forward and backward directly over an index for row ordering?
  5. Does Oracle have any plans concerning OLE DB? Will Oracle at least offer OLE DB Data Provider support for the database?

We are evaluating our software with Oracle ver 8.0 too, so that we can be in a better position to support different flavours and versions in the market.

We would really appreciate it if the responses could be emailed to paddy_at_fs.com. Do not frequent the news groups so often as would have liked to.

cheers

paddy iyer
paddy_at_fs.com

--