Re: Snapshot too old

From: <fongda_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/11/02

In article <63gfti$pt0$1_at_news.interlog.com>, Roberto Eberhardt <reberhard_at_interlog.com> wrote:

>We constantly run into the ORA1555 error (Snapshot too old), to remedy this
>Oracle recommends increasing the size of the redo logs.
>
>This can be accomplished in two ways:
>1- Increase the size of individual segments
> or
>2- Increment the number of segments.
>
>Any suggestions on which one would be the most effective solution?

We used to get this error a lot...you may want to look at the query you're running. We found that this error occurs when you have a big query or a script...perhaps a cursor-for-loop??...and it's aging out of the redo log before the entire query can finish. What was happening was we were doing a curosr-for-loop that had a query inside it that selected
from a table in another database. So the cursor was aging out before the query returned...so we modified the script to load the elements from the cursor into a pl/sql table and then looped through the table and performed the query...after that, we stopped getting that error.

Hope this helps!

--

Talk to you later!

Dara

                       __\/__
                      / ^  ^ \

| Dara Fong e-mail: fongda<at>netcom<dot>com |
| a complaint to your internet provider. It is |
| recommended you do not attempt these practices. Should |
| you choose to ignore this warning, you will be subject |
| to any remedy which may be exercised by your internet |
| provider. You have been warned. |