Re: Calling 'C' from PL/SQL

From: Paul Gatewood <wgap_at_ciba.com>
Date: 1997/10/31

In article <OPxMsWT58GA.182_at_nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>, Mike Rowland <102622.2522_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>Does anyone out there know how to call a 'C' routine
>from PL/SQL?
>
>We are running Oracle 7.3.3 PS on an AIX 4.1.5 platform, and
>using Oracle procedure builder to build stored procedures. Some
>of our developers want to incorporate some 'C' routines that are
>already built. Typically, I've done the reverse (calling PL/SQL
>from 'C') but they want to keep things consistent with what they
>have already developed.

The only connection you can make from Oracle 7 server to the outside world is via text files. You have 3 choices:

  1. make the connection using a daemon client and use the Oracle package dbms_pipe to communicate between sessions (examples for doing this is described with the sql script to install the package)
  2. set up a daemon process and use OS pipes
  3. Oracle 8