Re: reports 2.5 - dynamic SQL

From: Peter H. Larsen <plen_at_novo.dk>
Date: 1997/10/30

Hi,
In short, use the & prefix as you would with "dynaic" where clauses. What you can't make dynamic in Reports are the number/name of columns and their datatype - everything else goes. For instance I have a report that runs through the dictionary, and writes out the contents of all tables that fulfill some certain conditions.

Make a placeholder in your master block that will contain the table name. Give the field the default value of a VALID tablename, and make sure to PREFIX the default value with spaces, so it gains the maximum size necessary. Then in your detail block just enter:

select .....
  from &<placeholder variable>
 where ....

This should do it.