Re: How to CM an Oracle DB

From: Ken MacLeod <ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 1997/10/28

mso_at_doubled.com (Mark) writes:

> In article <345218AF.9C6A62A8_at_mindspring.com>, Ron Perrella
> <perrella_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

> _at_ You don't really CM the DB. You CM how to reconstruct the
> _at_ DB. In other words, you want reproducibility. So, CM the SQL
> _at_ scripts that build and populate the DB.

> Yes, I agree that is the goal. I think this is is possible to do based on
> the last project I was on (I came in to a established CM project
> environment where all DB changes where released with the software as
> scripts to be run). However, the DBA on our current project claims it is
> not possible and is "asinine" to think it can be done due to the
> complexities of the project. She also claims the DB scripts used in one
> environment (development) cannot be used in another environment (system
> test, production). I just want to be sure I am correct before I push the
> issue up the chain of command. In my original post, I was looking for
> published references that it can be done.

If your DBAs are not comfortable writing and maintaining non-SQL scripts and tools to build their databases *and* you are charged with working with them to implement source-level CM, you will most likely need to have your DBAs evaluate and select modeling and administration tool(s) that supports CM directly (i.e. checkout/checkin of schema objects and procedures, and migration from development to production).

I would not recommend pushing script building in an environment not already comfortable with it.

> Please see my reply to Ken MacLeod <ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us> "Re:How to CM
> Oracle DB (DBAs input requested)"

[my server didn't get the other article, but I've copied it from dejanews]

> In article <m3oh4d6h3b.fsf_at_biff.bitsko.slc.ut.us>, Ken MacLeod
> <ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us> wrote:
> _at_ I've never been in the position to choose commercial tools, so I
> _at_ don't have a list of any that support CM, but I'm aware that many
> _at_ do, especially those that run on Unix.

> The tool we have is PCVS, I am not too familiar with it. But from
> the little I have learned, what the company saved in
> license/purchase cost they will more than lose in person-hours -- I
> miss ClearCase. Hopefully, as I learn more about PVCS it won't look
> as bad.

By ``commercial tools'', I meant ``DB modelling and administration tools [...] that support CM''.

> _at_ The last time I ran into this brick wall I started designing
> _at_ another tool along these lines and I do have a skeleton of it if
> _at_ you want, including a script that reads an Oracle export file to
> _at_ create the initial baseline or to do checking.

> Does it produce a "blueprint" snapshot of the database structure? I
> am interested in finding a tool or procedure where the database
> structure can be retrieved and baselined, then periodicly thereafter
> obtain new snapshots of the database. Then use the "blueprint"
> snapshots to see what/if something has changed in the database
> structure. The primary goal being is to be able to show/verify that
> the database structure has not changed between snapshots and
> secondly, possibly show/verify that changes made are consistant with
> CCB/Release Notes.

It doesn't do much more than extract partial schema, but what there is of it is at <ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/bitsko/config-mgmt/>.

There are commercial tools that can ``diff'' two database instances, you would still need some way to recreate the ``old'' instance. Platinum's Enterprise DBA can do this.

--
  Ken MacLeod
  ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us