Re: Interview Questions...

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/10/27

> 1) In Form4.5, the user can do a query in query mode. Is there any way
> such that the query is processing more faster? (i.e. not just in query
> mode)

Not that I know of. I don't know if you create the default where clause by hand you could tune it more intelligently but that it about it. Actually, I build my own finders and do not use the Oracle query mode very much so I am nto familiar with the level of detail you ask.

Clearly, if you query on %anything, you defeat the index with the usual results.

> 2) What are the differences between implicit and explicit cursors?
Implicit cursors are when you create a cursor without doing a declare cursor
command. For example select into... or anything that calls sysdate. Implicit cursors always force an extra trip to the DB, so should be avoided if performance is a consideration.

> 3) What are the tools in Oracle that can be used to tune SQL statements?
Explain plan, trial and error. Most folks use a tool like Platinum's Explain SQL.

> 4) In Report, the content of the report contains two parts, left and
> right. Both parts are coming from the same table. Assume table PERSON
> store the rows which are student, lecturer or tutor.
> If we want the left part contains rows from PERSON who is student and
> the right part is select rows from PERSON who is teacher. There are two
> ways to do this. One way is using 1 SQL statment and the other is using
> 2 SQL statements. Which way do you prefer to use and why?

2 SQL statements is easier to code.
1 SQL statement is a little wierd for this context. You would need to use format
triggers to print one place or the other for each row, very interesting idea.
It would run somewhat faster.

If you get the job, do I get a cut?
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.

P.S. Anyone out there want a Dev2k job in the Wash DC area? Contact me directly.
pdorsey_at_dulcian.com Received on Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message