Re: How to CM an Oracle DB

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/10/27

[Quoted] The biggest problem I've seen is when the dba alters the table with column changes, or adds/modifies indexes and then fails to note the changes in the original creation scripts, which ultimately fall into disuse and are soon forgotten. When tables and indexes have to be regenerated, the panicking [Quoted] dba searches his local disk fruitlessly for the scripts. Or the dba splits and his replacement get to go nuts trying to figure out where the scripts and everything are. Nothing uglier than a bunch of alter table statements that add/modify columns (I use alter exclusively for primary/foreign/unique key/check constraints).
So I wrote a PL/SQL package which reverse engineers an entire schema, so the dba always has a fresh and clean script to recreate database objects. - Dan Clamage Received on Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message