Re: Mandatory Relationship

From: Peter de Goederen <goederen_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: 1997/10/27

John <jbking_at_erols.com> wrote in article <62n854$qjn$1_at_winter.news.erols.com>...
> Can anyone tell me how to code the enforcement of a mandatory
 relationship
> between a master and detail table?
>
> For example, I have a master table which stores primary information and
 then
> a detail table which stores a history of effective and expiration dates.
> record in the master table must always have one or more records in the
> detail table.
>
> Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Enforcement of an mandatory detail is only possible in your client and not in the server because Oracle doesn't have transaction triggers. For enforcement within Forms 4.5 you can use the post-forms-commit trigger. Try to select one of the details, and if this fails you can raise an forms_trigger_failure. Because the commit process is not yet complete the records are not inserted. Received on Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message