Re: Business Rules and Database Triggers

From: Robert Altena <altena_at_gol.com>
Date: 1997/10/26

[Quoted] Mike Chan wrote in article <344D4CC0.7451_at_bigfoot.com>...

>Hi all,
>
>According to suggestions from some Oracle books and newsgroups, it
>seems that it was preferred to implement Business Rules via Database
>Triggers. Is there any way (formal or informal) way of presenting
>such information in Oracle Designer/2000 ?

Yes there is, but i prefer to forget... You'll have to wade through a zillion
dialogs to get where you want to go. Right now I use D2K just for ER modelling
and to do the "grunt" work of creating version 0.0.0 of the DDL SQL. I will probably get flamed for this, but a simple text editor is a much safer way to create check constraints, stored procedures and triggers. For one thing
the developer has to actually know what he/she is doing. (Where in D2K anybody
can just click away.)

> Rule #1 : All staff must be of age 18 to 50.

However, as Jurii already pointed out, this kind of rule should be enforced using
a check constraint. You also might want to check out normal stored procedures and
packages. (If you insist, these can also be stored in D2K.)