How to CM an Oracle DB

From: Mark <mso_at_doubled.com>
Date: 1997/10/25

Hello,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have been doing Configuration Management for over a year now. Recently, I have been put on a new project as the CM Manager. This project uses an Oracle DB and uses Oracle financials. Oracle Designer2000 and Developer2000 are used to work on/develop the DB.

[Quoted] I have encountered two issues regarding the above:

  1. The politial issue is that the DBA and Oracle developers feel all CM should be concerned with is keeping track of the DB patches (which they maintain themselves in their environment). This scope of CM is not anywhere close to being acceptable. If CM is to manage (and be responsible for) the configuration of the system (in system test and in production), the database needs to be CM'd just like everything else, especially since its the heart of the system.
  2. The functional issue is that I do not know how to CM a DB. I cannot [Quoted] find any resourses that describe how a database should be CM'd. The books I have go into painful detail about SCM, but don't mention anything about databases.

[Quoted] Does anyone know of any resourses I can refer to or can anyone provide any type of help or suggestion regarding CM of databases?

Thank you,

Mark
mso_at_doubled.com Received on Sat Oct 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message