Re: How to CM an Oracle DB

From: Ron Perrella <perrella_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/10/25

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been doing CM for over a year now. Recently, I have been put on
> new project as the CM Manager. This project uses an Oracle DB and uses
>
> Oracle financials. Oracle Designer2000 and Developer2000 are used to
> work on/develop the DB.
>
> I have encountered two issues regarding the above:
>
> 1) The politial issue is that the DBA and Oracle developers feel all
> CM
> should be concerned with is keeping track of the DB patches (which
> they
> maintain themselves in their environment). This scope of CM is not
> anywhere close to being acceptable. If CM is to manage (and be
> responsible for) the configuration of the system (in system test and
> in
> production), the database needs to be CM'd just like everything else,
> especially since its the heart of the system.
>
> 2) The functional issue is that I do not know how to CM a DB. I cannot
>
> find any resourses that describe how a database should be CM'd. The
> books I have go into painful detail about SCM, but don't mention
> anything about databases.
>
> Does anyone know of any resourses I can refer to or can anyone provide
>
> any type of help or suggestion regarding CM of databases?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark
> mso_at_doubled.com

[Quoted] [Quoted]    You don't really CM the DB. You CM how to reconstruct the DB. In other words, you want reproducibility. So, CM the SQL scripts that build [Quoted] and populate the DB.

Gee did I use enough TLA? (Three-letter-acronyms)

-Ron Received on Sat Oct 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message