Oracle & SQL updates from Visual Basic 4 (32 bit)

From: JL <pbs_at_iafrica.com>
Date: 1997/10/24

Oracle & SQL updates from Visual Basic 4 (32 bit)

Can anyone help me with this.

We have a Unix machine and my Windows NT 4.0 PC is connected to it. Using ODBC I established a connection to that machine - and all that was fine from inside my VB program, however, when updating I get two problems.

  1. It crashes with a runtime error indicating that the first field in my SQL command is NOT UPDATABLE. e.g. It complained about the "location" field. When I then made the "receive_date" the first field it issued the same error regarding it. The Unix guys told me that they had granted me INSERT rights. But that didn't help. I suspect it MUST be a permissions problem of some kind. Can anyone help or suggest anything to me?
  2. I wish to update a DATE field in Oracle. I noted that one can not use the "to_date()" Oracle function in the SQL string. I was told that the date must be sent as a STRING in the format: dd-mmm-yyyyy. However, the date which I currently am receiving is in the format: yyyymmdd. Isn't there a simple way of reformatting the date? In my SQL string I enclose "string" values with single quotes, and numerics get no such delimiters. What does one do with dates?

A final question:
How does one fire off Unix commands from inside Visual Basic? I want to run various scripts and programs on Unix from inside VB. Received on Fri Oct 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message