Re: Oracle on NT issues

From: Greg Parsons <parsons_at_intermetrics.com>
Date: 1997/10/22

joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com wrote:

> shailesh.doshi_at_wcom.com wrote:
> >
> > 3) Is Oracle less stable on NT compared to UNIX
>
> I would say YES and YES again . I've done a few projects in NT
> , a couple (2) to be exact and I've done a whole lot of projects
> on UNIX boxes using ORACLE . Somehow , I found UNIX boxes to be
> more stable ..... Most probable reason is Oracle in a Unix
> environment is more mature than on NT (besides you can tweak
> around the OS kernel parameters to make it perform better) and
> another thing is NT doesn't seem to have a good memory
> management scheme ( this is just my opinion ).
>
> But you should be Okay as long as you would keep up with
> the patches (service packs) provided by Microsoft . I remember
> once instance when my production DB went down in (Hawaii) while
> I was in Minnesota and was puzzled without any hints until some
> NT guy said he met the same problem on a non oracle application
> and the solution is to install the NT service pack
> version 4.xxx (or was that 3 ???).
>
> In any rate Oracle and Microsoft are continually improving their
> products , so if you go for NT , you still haven't made a
> mistake.

    I have found NT to be a relatively stable platform - HOWEVER - Your point about memory management is on target. We will run months without error; then for 2 days we'll have a slew of them (Can't login, system shuts down ports, won't start services for logins, error and trace logs fill up with data, etc.) The only answer I've found so far is to toggle the system down/up. Listener, and/or any other services toggled while system remains up, provides as much as 5 hours without errors - but they return. Once NT has been restarted however, the system is fine for another several months.? Haven't found a sufficient answer. We are using NT3.51, Oracle 7.2. Upgrading NT may help and we're planning to do this soon. Yet, because it 'generally' runs well, this issue is more irritant than obstacle.

Greg Received on Wed Oct 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message