Re: Oracle on NT issues

From: <joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com>
Date: 1997/10/22

shailesh.doshi_at_wcom.com wrote:

> We are planning many projects on Oracle on NT.
>
> We have following concerns about ORACLE ON NT.
>
> We were told that Oracle is the most popular DBMS on NT in the
> middle/large database segment!! Any comments ;-)??!!
>
> 1) What is OFA complient directory structure on NT box

I suggest you use OFA if it is applicable for NT , The last time I had a project with NT it doesn't use OFA configuration and I dont think they are using it still, but just learn more about OFA cause it is much better (specially for upgrades, conversion, or relocations of DB's) .

> 2) What could be a good backup strategy?

It really depends upon your application , Every DBA has a different approach for this . You have to consider how much data can you afford to lose in case of a disaster, or I you need your data point in time before the disaster happened.

How much time can you spend to do recovery, and how long do you have to keep the DB running (i.e. is it a 7 by 24 application or can you shut it down every evening ?)

You can either use ARCHIVE mode or non ARCHIVE mode, cold or hot backups , or you can do IMPort and EXPorts or you could purchase some DB backup tools like SQLBacktrack .

[Quoted] > 3) Is Oracle less stable on NT compared to UNIX

I would say YES and YES again . I've done a few projects in NT , a couple (2) to be exact and I've done a whole lot of projects on UNIX boxes using ORACLE . Somehow , I found UNIX boxes to be more stable ..... Most probable reason is Oracle in a Unix environment is more mature than on NT (besides you can tweak around the OS kernel parameters to make it perform better) and another thing is NT doesn't seem to have a good memory management scheme ( this is just my opinion ).

But you should be Okay as long as you would keep up with the patches (service packs) provided by Microsoft . I remember once instance when my production DB went down in (Hawaii) while I was in Minnesota and was puzzled without any hints until some NT guy said he met the same problem on a non oracle application and the solution is to install the NT service pack version 4.xxx (or was that 3 ???).

In any rate Oracle and Microsoft are continually improving their products , so if you go for NT , you still haven't made a mistake.

> 4) What are the differences with Oracle on NT v/s on UNIX
> Things like 4 UNIX processes v/s single Service on NT
>
> Any ideas?

I don't know what you mean, but there is a lot of them...The processes, the way you configure things (it is easier on NT), the way you the processes work , etc. But one thing is UNIX has a much better scripting capability than NT . This will help you do a lot of you administrative job without the need of a compiler or any other tools except those you already have when you purchased UNIX and ORACLE .

> Thankx a bunch in anticipation,
> Shailesh Doshi
> shailesh.doshi_at_wcom.com

The opinions expressed above are of my own and doesn't reflect the opinions of any of my clients or my employer Received on Wed Oct 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message