Re: ODBC to Oracle on Sun Solaris - Advice needed...

From: Robert Pollard <omsinc_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1997/10/21

I don't know if you have recieved any help on this issue but I will give my 2 cents anyway.

The standard process of getting the client/server mechanism talking is to:
1) Make sure the client can ping the server. Make sure there is a low level connection from the client to the server. Do this with the ping command in DOS or Mac Ping on Macintosh. 2) Try to log onto the database (after starting the database) using a loopback connection. Do this by running svrmgrl and typing "connect scott/tiger_at_main_db" replacing "main_db" with the name that is in the tnsnames.ora file on the line that defines the SID. This will verify the listener is running. If the listener is not running then while in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory type "lsnrctl start". This should start the listener.
3) After the two machines can see each other, copy the tnsnames.ora file over to the client and install it into the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory on the client.
There are many other factors in getting client/server activated but these are general steps that should give some clue as to where you need to look.

I hope this helped and I hope it is not too late!

Robert Pollard Received on Tue Oct 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message