Which tools? Powerbuilder/Sybase or Oracle Dev2000

From: HughesMJ <hughesmj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/10/20

[Quoted] I have been developing applications using Powerbuilder and Sybase for the last 3 years. My employer, a large blue-chip corporation, has just made the decision to drop Sybase/Powersoft completely and develop all new applications using the Oracle toolset. Can anyone offer me a reasoned argument why

  1. This is a good idea or [Quoted]
  2. This is a bad idea!!!

Particularly, what are the differences between Powerbuilder and Oracle's equivelant - 'Developer 2000'? From a performance point of view but also from a developer's point of view.

[Quoted] From where I'm standing, this move would seem to waste the 3 good years experience I have and place me right back at the trainee level.

It's either time to learn something totally new - which is always attractive in some ways to us technical types or to jump ship and go contracting!

Any comments in reply to my e-mail and the newsgroup would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin.

hughesmj_at_aol.com Received on Mon Oct 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message