sqlloader: how to load multi-line long data?

From: als <seebelow_at_usa.net>
Date: 1997/10/19

Hi. I have what seems like a very simple question, but I don't seem to find an answer to it. I am trying to use sqlloader to load a table which has a long raw field. All the rows I am loading actually have ascii text in the long field, and the text has newline characters in it. Is there a way to load multi-line data with sqlloader? Is there a field continuation character? Or is there a way to specify newline in a string? Sqlloader seems to assume that the end of line terminates the data even though I specify

    FIELDS TERMINATED BY "|" in the control file (I also tried doing this specifically for the long field, but that didn't help either). I also tried merging lines with CONTINUEIF, which removed the newlines (of course), so all text lines were concatenated into one long line, which is not ideal.

Since the text is stored in a long raw field, I also tried converting it to hex, and storing it using a char field (instead of raw) in the control file, but char seems to have a 2000 character limit, so some of the text was cut off. Varchar was cut off at something line 2004 or so.

So is there a way to load long data with newlines using sqlloader? Or what is the preferred way to do this kind of thing?

Thanks for any help.

(Please use al_s as user name if replying by email.) Received on Sun Oct 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message