Re: Problem: Can move away from an empty, mandatory item!

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/10/18

In article <34491517.1092729_at_news.netvigator.com>, ªü´ö Thenardier <Thenardier_at_POBoxes.com> wrote:

>Here i have 2 blocks BLOCK_A, BLOCK_B on a form. BLOCK_A
>contains 2 mandatory text_items for users to input. BLOCK_B
>has a list of rows for displaying corresponding values that
>are extracted from tables.
>
>Problem: Normally, if a text_item in BLOCK_A is empty,
>the users is not allowed to navigate to other text_item in
>the same block. And it works alright. But now when i
>click on the top row in BLOCK_B, then i'm able to click
>to another text_item in BLOCK_A, even though all the
>text_items in the block are empty!
>
>Don't want it to happen. Click to BLOCK_B shouldn't
>be allowed when an item_text is empty. Any hints?

If the record status in your row in Block_A is NEW meaning nothing has been entered anywhere in the row, then navigation out of the row and out of the block is permitted. If you really do want to lock the user into the row, then in a when-new-item-instance trigger, if the item is null, set it to null. This will change the record status to insert, and force the user to enter a non-null value.

[Quoted] I do something quite opposite: on required items, I set their Required property to false, but then check the items when the user presses commit (or sometimes when they try to leave the row). This allows more navigation around a multi-block form, and I think is more user-friendly.

Regards,
Steve Cosner
http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Sat Oct 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message