Java,Middleware,ODBC to oracle?

From: M Sweger <mikesw_at_dhp.com>
Date: 1997/10/18

Hi,

        I have a question on how to manage and control a DBMS such as Oracle under the following situation. I'm using Java to communicate to the Oracle DMBS via a 3-tier middleware machine. This middleware machine performs dynamic loading such that if the oracle DBMS on machine one is loaded then the middleware will point over to the second machine that is running Oracle. However, the following condition can occur leading to synchronization of data problems. I.E. if I have an order entry Web form on the Web and I enter data to place the order and submit it it will go to machine #1 and the DBMS. Now if I make a correction to the online order that I just placed and the middleware, due to loading, places my correction to the online order on the second machine I have the following problem then. If I must keep my original order and the corrected order together either for tax purposes or because the order forms are marked with original and correction codes so that I know which one came first and second (this is true in the EDI world) or even when I enter multiple corrections I'll encounter this situation where half my data is on machine #1 the original order
and the other part on machine #2 which is the corrected order which causes an out of synch problem. I plan on sending statuses back to the user to indicate acceptance or rejection of the order. However, the host application detects the
case where the original must be filed first before a correction can be entered: otherwise an error occurs and message is returned. Hence, since my data is across two machines it doesn't detect the original data even though its on the other machine and therefore will cause a failure. I realize most DBMS' have DBMS to DBMS replication. But the replication may not be fast enough to handles this case.

        Has anybody encountered this situation? What did you do to correct this scenario? Any info you can provide is appreciated.

--
	Mike,
	mikesw_at_whiterose.net