Stored procedures vs table owner

From: Bob Blizard <rblizard_at_cmcsys.com>
Date: 1997/10/17

[Quoted] I am trying to create a stored procedure which queries data dictionary tables to build a list of datafiles to back up using UTL_FILE. It works great as a block of PL/SQL run by SYSTEM, but when I try to change it to CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE... it throws up and tells me I have to declare identifier 'SYS.V$LOGFILE', etc.

I tried a simple block of code which accesses V$LOGFILE plus a table owned by a random user, and I can run it as system or sys, but compile it only as SYS. Is this documented? Why does it work this way? I find SYSTEM can execute ok, so this now a question I need to understand the why of, rather than being permanently stuck...

Thanks in advance.

--

Bob Blizard  rblizard_at_cmcsys.com
CMC Systems  175 Littleton Rd   Westford, MA 01886

"To park in the first row of life, you must first go there to
 look for a parking space"