Re: Tool to drop Columns

From: Jan Dieckmann <JDieckmann_at_psi.de>
Date: 1997/10/17

Jacob Love wrote:

> In article <01bcd941$f6fdefb0$54110b87_at_clamagent>,
> Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com> wrote:
> >Why not just do
> >1) CREATE new_table AS SELECT col1, col3, colN FROM old_table;
> >2) DROP TABLE old_table;
> >3) RENAME new_table TO old_table;
>
> Because this doesn't take care of grants, indexes, primary and foreign
> keys. If you have an extraordinarily simple system which doesn't take
> advantage of referential integrity, the solution you propose would
> work.
>
> --
> Jack F. Love
> Opinions expressed are mine alone, unless you happen to agree

I hope sooner or later Oracle will offer a tool for this purpose. I hope our (KeepTool www.keeptool.swn.de) tool HORA will help you. You can generate a sql script by using the right mouse button and clicking on the table you like to alter. The script disables all constraints, creates the modified table copies all data and enables the constraints. You can download a free 30 day timebomb testversion of HORA from our homepage.

Jan Dieckmann Received on Fri Oct 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message