Re: ODBC to Oracle on Sun Solaris - Advice needed...

From: Stephen S. Sandau <ssandau_at_river.gwi.net>
Date: 1997/10/15

Allan Gould (allang_at_sco.com_no-junkmail-please) wrote:
: Richard Mischook wrote:
: > Alas I have never worked with Oracle before but need to set up an ODBC
: > connection from Win NT to an Oracle server on Sun Solaris. I beleive that
: > the answer involves an oracle product called SQLNET that must run on both
: > the Solaris box and the NT box. I this the only way/ideal way and if it is
: > ideal where can I get further information on the product(s) and how to
: > install, license fees etc....
: >
: > Any help appreciated - please email if possible

: To make an ODBC connectin from NT to Oracle on Solaris, try our ODBC
: driver: SCO SQL-Retriever. Take a look at
: http://www.vision.sco.com/products/sqlretriever/ for more info and a
: downloadable eval.

: Allan Gould
: (allang_at_sco.com)

You'll need a listener on the host machine and SQL*NET, ODBC drivers and a suitable front end ont he client. Newer clients require V2 listener on the host. See the Oracle docs for how to set this up. SQL*NET gets installed on the client with Orainst, ODBC drivers are available from Oracle (I think) and are easily installed in Win95 at least, and hopefully you have some front end. You could use Excel or Access for read/write access to Oracle or MS Query just to look at it.

Feel free to e-mail me if this is confusing.

Steve Sandau        Netware admin., Linux fan, "chiphead"
         ssandau_at_biddeford.com   ssandau_at_tmac.com