Re: updating primary key

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/10/14

Updating primary keys is a bad idea, as you have discovered. The orderly thing to do is to, in one transaction:

1) Insert a new row with the new key (duplicating the rest of the row data)
2) Update the foreign keys in other table(s) to the new key value
3) Delete the old row

If any part of this fails, roll the whole thing back. Query on the new key to get the row just inserted. You can do this whole thing with a stored procedure, called from the trigger.
- djc

Debbie Nein <neind_at_ci.portsmouth.va.us> wrote in article <01bcd80e$26aac9c0$7202070a_at_neind.visi.net>...