Re: Status of drop column package

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/10/10

On Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:02:50 -0400, "Joseph S. Testa" <jtesta_at_scioto.net> wrote:

>well it is going well, it does the following:
> 1. rename table
> 2. create new table minus the column you want to drop.
> 3. build the PK on new table.
> 4. build all FK that pointed to the old table FK and now point them
>to the new table.
> 5. build all FK from old table that pointed to other PK and put them
>on new table.
> 6. build all extra indexes that were on old table.
> 7. save all above in a table, for complete undo back to step one.

Don't forget to rebuild also some other objects from old to new table:

- the views
- the sysnonyms (also for new views)
- the grants (also for new views and synonyms)
- the triggers
- the check constraints
- the snapshot logs
- ......

>That is the general concept of what works today, I'll be testing rest of
>this week and all next week, by next weekend(oct 18th or so), should be
>ready for some volunteers to beat up on it some. any volunteers?, sorry
>source code wont be available right away.
>
>joe

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message