Re: help! i am trapped with informix

From: David K. Killough <killougd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/10/08

Tom Scheeler wrote:

> David K. Killough wrote in message <34392197.56F2ECF5_at_ix.netcom.com>...
> >Our company is attempting to embrace new technology. We are considering
> >moving from Informix to Oracle.We also need to change tools because we
> >are using Informix 4GL. Assuming we choose Oracle database, we need
> >tools that meet the following criteria:
> >
> >State of the Art, Client Server, GUI, Open Language, Good Price,
> >Intranet capable, very good performance, runs on UNIX, easy to find
> >developers, proven, plus........
> >Something that we can EASILY convert 400,000 lines of Informix 4GL to.
> >
> >I am considering Developer 2000, Powerbuilder/PowerJ, VB, Any
> >advice?????????
> >

> What flavor of Unix? (Sun!!!), what client (OS NT or 95)?
> Stay away from PowerBlower...ah...Builder!
>
> Tom

  We have bought Sequent NUMA-Q (Dynix-ptx). We have 600 PCs (mostly 16 bit).
Our print/file servers are novell and we have some NT. The Sequent is big and we are thinking of putting applications in addition to Oracle on it.

I never want to be stuck with proprietary development tools again! I have a mess with informix-4gl. I like Java for this reason.   Dave Received on Wed Oct 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message