Re: Q: Developer/2000 for UNIX: is it easy to port a windows app to UNIX?

From: Chris Muir <c-muir_at_-mits-wa.co-m.au>
Date: 1997/10/04

>If I have a typical application, developed using developer/2000 on
>Windows, what would be the effort involved in porting it to UNIX? Oracle
>sales says it's a snap. This is the same as what Sybase made me believe
>about their PowerBuilder product, but I know better now :-( I wouldn't
>like to make the same mistake twice
>(I know: What's typical? But I need to get some idea. Cross out OLE and
>DDE. Just some
>advanced queries on several tables, some average data manipulating and
>presentation of resultsets, tabular, graphs and crosstabs)

We used to run Dev 2k on DEC Unix 3.2 and Windows NT. Problem we experienced was that Oracle was putting out new versions and bug fixes of Windows Dev 2k so quickly, and at the same time delaying the upgrade for DEC Unix version that any forms/reports created quickly become incompatible between platforms. By this I mean you could not take a Windows fmb and port it to the DEC. Would usually result in a core dump.

Today we have 2 compatible versions and everythings seems to work okay.

The point I'm trying to make here is that even if Oracle states that its a snap to move forms/reports between platforms, if you have been forced to upgrade either platform to avoid bugs (etc), or Oracle is delaying shipment of products, you may fall into the situation where you can't easily port code across.

This is where you wave a little red flag at your project manager and say 'risk management'.

Hope this helps :)
Chris Muir
Software Engineer
MITS (Western Australia) Ltd

All information is my own and does not represent that of my employer.

I dont promise all information that I give is 100% accurate.

The email address in the from header in this message has been changed to avoid spam. Please remove all dashes and spaces from the following address to email me: c muir_at_-mits-wa.co-m.au Received on Sat Oct 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message