Forms 4.5 Pop-list question

From: <adam.warner_at_dalsemi.com>
Date: 1997/10/03

Hi all,

[Quoted] I am learning to use Oracle Forms 4.5W to develop some simple data-entry applications, but I am having trouble getting poplists to work like I want them to. Here's an example:

[Quoted] I have two tables, a DEPARTMENT (DEPT) table and an EMPLOYEE (EMP) table. The EMP table has two columns, a numeric employee id and the employee's name. The DEPT table has two columns, the department name and the employee id of an employee assigned to the department. The employee id in the DEPTtable is foreign keyed to the EMP table.

[Quoted] I have figured out how to make a form of the department table, where the department name is on one column and an employee name poplist populated at run-time from a query record group) comes up. The poplist displays the employees' names as the list item labels, and the list element values associated to the names are the employee ID's.

[Quoted] The problem is this: when you use the POPULATE_LIST built-in to put the values from the record group query into the poplist's list item, it can only take values of type CHAR for both the list label values and the list element values. So, my numeric employee ID (the list element values) won't work. When querying, all rows in the DEPT table are "silently rejected" because a char "1" and a numeric 1 aren't equal.

[Quoted] Does anyone have any ideas, or a work-around? I don't want to change my numeric id's to CHARs. Curiously, the pop-list does work if you just enter the numeric list values manually.

Thanks,
Adam Warner
Computer Integrated Manufacturing
Dallas Semiconductor