Re: How to export to comma delimited file from Oracle8?

From: Dick Allie <dallie_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1997/09/30

kgrigg_at_acxiom.com wrote:

> Hello All!
> I am wanting to export the rows from an Oracle 8 database table to a comma
> delimited file. I have been trying to use the export function in the
> Enterprise manager. But, when I do this, I get a file that looks like it
> has information on re-creating the tables, etc, along with the data with
> 'squares' as a delimiter (seen while looking at the file with WordPad).
> Where can I look for info on this (a utility or commands from SQL*Plus)?
>
> I am basically wanting to dunp the data out because I am dropping the
> tables I created while learning, use the new scripts I have written to
> create proper tablespaces, tables..etc. And then re-load them from these
> dump files.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!!
>
> Kelly
> kgrigg_at_acxiom.com
>
> ps. Please cc by mail too, our newsfeed here isn't reliable...

Hi Kelly,
The export file is a special file used only by oracle to import the data back into a database. Go ahead and export the tables and indexes as you are doing. Set up your tablespaces the way you want them, then import back into the database. If you are changing names of tablespaces and want to change sizes of the objects (tables and indexes) then use the indexfile parameter of the import and write all the table and index structure to a text file that can be edited. Be sure to use N for the rows parameter. Now edit the text file for changes to the objects or tablespaces. The table definitions are all preceeded by REM which you can remove. Run this text file as a sql script to create your tables in the newly laid out database. Then run the import without the indexfile parameter, rows=Y and ignore=Y parameters included. Hope this helps. Regards, Dick Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message