Obtaining 32 bit SQL*Net client software

From: Eric Poellinger <jpoellinger_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1997/09/28

After much time talking with numerous people, this seems to be a rather difficult question to answer!!!

The enviornment I am currently in is an SAP shop that uses Oracle 7.3 as its database. In case you did not know this, SAP customers do not have an explicit license with Oracle; rather they get their database on the distribution media directly from SAP. This includes, of course, the database, as well as the server side of SQL*Net. SAP does not require the client side because they have a proprietary gui client that handles communcation to/from the SAP server instance.

The problem I have run into is that we have recently purchased a 3rd party reporting tool which requires the client side of sqlnet to go against the database. I thought that we could just call Oracle and buy the product. It seems that no one wants to sell it! Oracle has told us to talk to SAP and SAP has told us to talk to Oracle!!! Does anyone know how to acquire just SQL*Net?

One thought is that we could buy an actual database (e.g. Personal Oracle) and then use it to distribute the client software. Can anyone comment on the licensing side of this?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
eric.j.poellinger_at_ac.com Received on Sun Sep 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message