Re: Developer Web Question Help.

From: QuadTwin <quadtwin_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/09/27

"evan gatzonis" <gatzonis_at_otenet.gr> wrote:

> Hi, I am kind of confused about how developer works. From what I
> understood from oracles web site, in order to make an application for
> use on the Web you program in PL/SQL much like as if you were
> designing a Form4.5. However I am not sure about the following: What
> is the code that is generated on server side of the appplication,
> what is the code in client side? For the server is it a Java applet?
> For the client is it Pure HMTL or HTML + javascript?
>
> If on the server you get a Java applet, can you directly program in
> Java directly instead of PL/SQL. Does Oracle give Java programming
> environment or can you just use any JAVA RAD envrionment?

When you generate FORMS, you generate on the machine where it is deployed.  If your FORMS application server is a Unix box, the code is generated for that environment. You don't personally code anything in Java, FORMS recognizes that your client is running from a browser and it sends an Oracle-implemented Java applet that renders the user interface, while all the business logic is implemented in PL/SQL and executes on the backend. This same binary can also support typical client/server operation. It is the best of both worlds and you only have to add a tweak here and there. Oracle may provide the ability to write some Java code in triggers that would fire in the applet. For now, trigger events are passed back to the application server.

Hope this helps,

Al Lawson
Interactive Group, Inc.
www.interactive-group.com
lawsona_at_interactive-group.com Received on Sat Sep 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message