Re: Hopefully easy question

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/09/26

Wolfgang Pest wrote:

> Dan Cradler wrote:
> >
> > Working with sqlplus, is there a way to see what tables, indexes, etc. are
> > available in the current schema? I am used to Informix and there is an
> > easy way to do this in their dbaccess utility. I've looked at the help and
> > don't see any command that would list tables and indexes in sqlplus.

Wolfgang,

I am replying to you as Dan's original messge was not on my news server. Oracle provides an extensive data dictionary which allows you to see tables, columns and indexes accesible by a user. As an example;
to find information about a your own tables;

select * from user_tables;

for all tables you can access;

select * from all_tables; (has a username field to identify ownership)

for all tables in the database (need special permission for this one)

select * from dba_tables; (has a username field to identify ownership)

other tables containing information you might wish to see (all having user_ , all_ and dba_ versions) as above are;

user_tab_columns, user_indexes, user_ind_columns, user_constraints, user_views, user_synonyms, user_source etc.

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message