Re: PLEASE HELP: commit Problem in Forms 4.5

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

Add a pre-insert trigger to fill in your field key. select your_sequence_name_here.nextval into your_field from dual;

Any user entered fields can be tested with a when_validate trigger under each item.

Keep the form simple. Let the user commit.

Manfred Tischendorf (07142980027-0001_at_t-online.de) wrote:
: Dear Oracle Forms 4.5 Users,

: I have a very easy question, which normaly should be answered by
: reading the manual only a few pages. But I do not succed to find a
: solution. Please help!!
: I have defined an oracle table containing a field key filled with
: a oracle sequence automatically and a field location which the
: user fills. (This table will be expanded in future, therefore I can' t
: use LOV).

: I create a new form and I select
: Tools – new block
: To open the new block options.
: I select the table descibed above as base table, select all itmens
: and I select tabular with 5 records as layout.

: Now my problems start, when I run the form and insert values in
: the field location. The filed key is not displayed. When an entry
: is made, the result is not saved in the database because of the
: record structure of oracle forms. Records are saved not before the
: commit_form has been given. How to do this? Is there another way
: as to say do_key('commit_form')?
: I get the error message
: Illegal restricted procedure do_key in when-validate-record
: trigger, because I' m not allowed to use this procedure during navigation.

: Is there a way to make changes known in the database immediately
: and on which level should I do this:
: - When-validate-item
: - When-validate-record
: - ... other

: Is there a book where i can find examples? In the oracle
: literature, I did not find the places, where this information is
: given.

: General I have problems to accept, that changes are done using the
: save-button. I want to validate the item just after pressing the
: enter-key on the keyboard (instead of using the mouse and clicking
: in the next row).
: How can I succeed to get a new row in the form on screen without
: doing all the programming, forms can do for me?

: Is there some german speaking support out where I can ask some
: questions to getting started with forms?

: Thanks for any reply!

: Yours Sincerely

: Manfred Tischendorf

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you