Need advice on Conversion from ver 6.0 to 7.3

From: Cecil <cecil_at_total.net>
Date: 1997/09/18

Hi guys,

I would be grateful to get some advice on what areas to concentrate on during a conversion from Oracle 6 to Ver 7.3. both from Upgrade side but specifically for the application conversion.

I would appreciate answers from both DBA's as well as developers who have had the experience of doing the upgrade and the conversion of programs. As a developer I think it would be nice to know the DBA part as well just to make things easier for myself in understanding the actual DBA's (person) position and ours as well. This would help avoid a lot of misunderstanding and help to plan and execute better.

On the development side, I understand that s/w from Kumaran systems has been used by companies to convert forms 3.0 to Forms 4.5. I will be happy to share that aspect with anyone who has tried them out. Is is worth a try or should the development be done from scratch?.

Does the conversion go flawlessly?
What are the critical areas to look at after the conversion? What amendments would need to be made to the forms after the conversion? Would the forms work correctly or will there be glitches? What about display problems with the forms - Screen layouts, triggers etc.

Thanks for all the help.

Cecil

Please reply to cecil_at_total.net if possible. Received on Thu Sep 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message