ORACLE FORMS 4.5 BASICS

From: Manfred Tischendorf <07142980027-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/09/15

--------------2EC84C1C1FDF

My email adress is
tischendorf_at_arkusa.de

--------------2EC84C1C1FDF

Dear Oracle Forms 4.5 Users,

I have a very easy question, which normaly should be answered by reading the manual only a few pages. But I do not succed to find a solution. Please help!!
I have defines a qoracle table containing a field key filled with a oracle sequence automatically and a field location which the user fills.
I create a new form and I select
Tools – new block
To open the new block options.
I select the table descibed above as base table, select all itmens and I select tabular with 5 records as layout.

Now my problems start, when I run the form and insert values in the field location. The filed key is not displayed. When an entry is made, the result is not saved in the database because of the record structure of oracle forms. Records are saved not before the commit_form has been given. How to do this? Is there another way as to say do_key('commit_form')?
I get the error message
Illegal restricted procedure do_key in when-validate-record trigger.

Is there a way to make changes known in the database immediately and on which level should I do this:

[Quoted] - When-validate-item
- When-validate-record
- ... other

Is there a book where i can find examples? In the oracle literature, I did not find the places, where this information is given.

General I have problems to accept, that changes are done using the save-button. I want to validate the item just after pressing the enter-key on the keyboard (instead of using the mouse and clicking in the next row).
How can I succeed to get a new row in the form on screen without doing all the programming, forms can do for me?

Is there some german speaking support out where I can ask some questions to getting started with forms?

Thanks for any reply!

Yours Sincerely

Manfred Tischendorf

--------------2EC84C1C1FDF--