Performance Decay using Oracle's JDBC Driver

From: Lane Sharman <lane_at_san.rr.com>
Date: 1997/09/14

--------------C7E72A1F4E414441162FA1B8

Apparently there is a performance decay in Oracle's beta JDBC drivers.

Driver Version = Oracle JDBC Drivers 7.3.3.1.3 beta-release Class file = classes111.zip
jdk=1.1.3
Oracle Version=8.0.3
Platform = NT 4.0
Listener Service=tcp

This decay is evidenced in timing the identical operation in successive runs. Here is benchmark output. Times are in millis. Operation over 1000 rows consist of populating the table, select, iterator, and delete.

The curious thing is that this decay occurs under both of the following conditions:

> the program consists of a single pass and the program is run
successively from the command line

> the program contains an outer loop to run the benchmark.

As soon as NT is reloaded the benchmark starts off at its best time.

Hypothesis: there is a memory leak in Oracle 8 server processes which is a new release.

I will try to confirm this hypothesis using Oracle 7. Any known confirmation/rebuttal of this would be >>greatly<< appreciated.

Warning: Returned 1000 rows after insert operation Time to connect after driver loaded=1502 Time to insert 1000 records=69150
Time to execute select statement=30
Time to iterate 1000 records=69150
Time to delete 1000 records=3815
Warning: Returned 1000 rows after insert operation Time to connect after driver loaded=1492 Time to insert 1000 records=75328
Time to execute select statement=10
Time to iterate 1000 records=75328
Time to delete 1000 records=3836
Warning: Returned 1000 rows after insert operation Time to connect after driver loaded=1522 Time to insert 1000 records=81618
Time to execute select statement=30
Time to iterate 1000 records=81618
Time to delete 1000 records=3796
Warning: Returned 1000 rows after insert operation Time to connect after driver loaded=2363 Time to insert 1000 records=91532
Time to execute select statement=10
Time to iterate 1000 records=91532
Time to delete 1000 records=3315
Warning: Returned 1000 rows after insert operation Time to connect after driver loaded=2393 Time to insert 1000 records=97280
Time to execute select statement=30
Time to iterate 1000 records=97280
Time to delete 1000 records=3345

C:\local\od_root\jdbc\samples\oci8>

--
Lane Sharman
"Put those together less bad, but the cage less fun."