Re: CHANGING PASSWORDS

From: <dasidwel_at_NoSpamPlease.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:52:58 GMT, "Chinna" <jchinna_at_enron.com> wrote:

>Not everybody can change their passwords. The user must have ALTER USER
>privilege to do that. The admin person can grant that privilege to the user
>or can
>create a role and grant the role to the user.
>
>let me know if this helped.

Nope - didn't help me. Try creating a user and ONLY granting CREATE SESSION privilege, no roles and no other privileges. Then connect as that new user and they can issue the ALTER USER statement to change THEIR password.

Certainly they would need ALTER USER privilege to change someone else's password.

Hope that cleared up the error.

>Chinna
>
>AMARENDRA B NETTEM <nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu> wrote in article
><3405B411.2F5_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>...
>> Hagen wrote:
>> >
>> > Is it possible to have someone change their own password in oracle
>> > without having Admin. right, or is it possible to give admin rights so
>> > that they can ONLY change their password and not have any other admin
>> > rights. Thanks.

Absolutely no need for any privileges to change your own password.

>> > Hagenj_at_mail.dec.com
>>
>> yes, user can change his own password.
>>
>> SQL> ALTER USER SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY SCOTT;
>>
>> HOPE THIS HELPS
>>
>> AMARENDRA
>> --
>> AMARENDRA B NETTEM 5039 N E River Road, Apt. 1A
>> Certified Oracle DBA NORRIDGE, IL 60656
>> Whittman-Hart Inc.,
>> Chicago, IL 60656.
>>
>> Ph.No. (708) 583 9870 (H) E-mail: nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu
>> (312) 813 6758 (W) anettem_at_whittman-hart.com
>>
>> Homepage: http://www.iit.edu/~nettama

my views, not necessarily my employers etc.

David Sidwell Received on Fri Sep 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message